Thursday, July 6, 2017

What I'm Reading: #History #Horror #Zombie #Lizzie Borden

As I'm finishing up some other projects - and yay! getting some mini stuff done, too, thought I'd share some books I'm reading as well.

I'm a bit behind in electronic reading as my tablet quit working. UGH! It won't reboot either. So until I see if it can be fixed or I get a new one, I'm kind of reading on the computer (which I don't really like as I do enough of that) or I'm reading in print. So it's slower going....

So here are a few books I'm reading or hope to start soon, or have started. Yes, quite a mix but variety's the spice of life, right? 

On the Lizzie Borden front:

Just got:

Oh, another fantastic Lizzie read - coming in October! The Murderer's Maid by Erika Mailman is a new take on the Lizzie Borden saga - from the point-of-view of the elusive and lesser known Irish maid, Bridget Sullivan, whom Lizzie and her sister Emma called "Maggie."  Interesting as this is a dual-character story told in past and present - Lizzie's maid in the past, and a barista in the present "fleeing from an attempt on her life." Then there's Brooke, an illegitimate daughter of an immigrant maid tied to events of the past century.  Can't wait to learn how this connects!


I find it an interesting read when you have chapters with dual characters from different times, past and present. One of my favorite books, The Plague Tales by Ann Benson does this, telling the story from the pov of a physician in the 1300s and a modern-day scientist who digs up an old bacterium linked to the past, the plague, another horrific, but interesting topic.  As a writer, I've been intrigued by the idea of doing a story in two time periods with two different, but connected, characters. I may have to put my thinking cap on!

It's always intriguing reading the different approaches and viewpoints on the life of accused murderess Lizzie Borden. There are still a few others I have to read yet, but this one is unique since it's from the point-of-view of the elusive and lesser known Irish maid, Bridget Sullivan, whom Lizzie and her sister Emma called "Maggie." 

Some writers, of course, don't read in the same genre or topic they're writing in. Well, I'm safe, unless she has some zombies popping up in her Lizzie-Bridget book somewhere. ha! (And my little plug - Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter is on sale for Kindle for $1.99 to July 15!) 

Still Reading: 


 Another book I've been reading is Rebecca Pittman's massive (800+ pgs) tome on Lizzie Borden, The History & Haunting of Lizzie Borden. Interesting take and research. It's "heavier" reading being nonfiction with some fictional elements and possibilities since there has never been any "confirmed" proof leading to the murderer, or proving Lizzie's guilt or innocence. It's a book I have to read in spurts. Some interesting analysis, however.





To Read: Horror - Zombies, Etc.


  Dreamwalkers, (The Oneiroi Legacies Book 1), Tiaan Lubbe -  Sixteen-year-old Narcisco thinks he's the only one who walks in other people's dreams. He isn't. When a msyterious dark woman appears in one of his dreamwalks, he's rescued by a secret organization that trains him and others to use their gifts. But he also learns about family and home, and as the threat grows, what it may mean to lose them.








Life After the Undead, Pembroke Sinclair - Seventeen-year-old Krista has to figure out how she's going to survive in this zombie-infested world. Now she'll have to fight to defend everything she holds dear... 

Death to the Undead - Book 2, Pembroke Sinclair - In book 2, Krista has survived, but she learn that some survivors are more dangerous than the zombies seeking to devour them. Caught between powerful forces, can she and fellow survivor Quinn survive long enough to devise a new plan or will they self-destruct? 


What are you reading? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer