Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Top 10 Tuesday: Books To Read

It's another TOP TEN TUESDAY over at brokeandbookish.com.




Today's Theme: 

January 13: Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To

I am making my way through some books, but I have a terrible habit of reading several at once. Some I finish really quick if I get into them. Some I skip back and forth. 

Here is a condensed version of a few books I'm reading and/or want to read but didn't - yet (in no particular order).


A pattern - I seem to be drawn to books with creepy old photos and... there is something about asylums...

  1. Asylum (reading it now) 





2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children)
 



3. Something  I just came across - The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
 



4. Since I seem to be on a theme here, I came across this account by Nellie Bly, one of the top female journalists of the 19th century who faked madness to cover the asylum from the inside. Ten Days in a Mad-House




5. There is also something fascinating, sad, and intriguing about looking into the ruins of buildings, especially those where the hopeless were sent. Now the buildings also are without hope. Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals
 


6.  This fascinated me when I heard about the story of Huguette Clark, an elderly heiress from the wealthy past who was so rich she had empty mansions all over. It's a world that you only read about in books and is now fading into history as these octogenarians die. Sad and intriguing. I especially wanted to find out more about her extensive dolls and dollhouse collection.
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer