Friday, May 17, 2013

In Tune with (Zombie) Fashion

Yesterday, my spouse and I got onto the topic of fashion.  It's a long story of why, but it got me to thinking about trends in general.  I'm not one who cares about the latest thing or what people are wearing.  I want to wear what I'm comfortable in.  I'm not out to set trends.

The same can be said about my writing.  Advice givers always say that you shouldn't write for trends, and you really shouldn't.  Write what you want to write.  Your passion and excitement will flow through your words and draw the reader in, even if your story isn't "in."  Besides, who can predict what's "in" and what isn't?  How many people do you think copied J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer after their books hit the bestseller list and gained world popularity?  How many of them are are being talked about at the moment? 

When I was writing my YA zombie books, I wasn't writing to be a part of the trend.  It just happened to be going on at the same time.  And even though the trend was going on when I was shopping my stories around, I didn't land a huge publishing contract.  I didn't have movie producers flocking to my door.  I bet a lot of other zombie authors didn't either.  Does that mean our stories are bad or poorly written?  Maybe, but more than likely not.  More than likely is has to do with market saturation.  Trends grow old pretty quickly. 

I wrote about zombies because I like to write about zombies.  I'm sure I'll continue to write about the walking dead long after the trend has gone out of style, and I would bet most other zombie authors would tell you the same thing.  There will always be readers out there who want to read about the undead.  They might not be mainstream, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. 

My point is that whether it's fashion or writing or whatever, there will always be people out there who are on the cutting edge.  They'll always seem to have the "right" stuff.  That's fine.  More power to them.  I hope that makes them happy.  Me, I'm fine with being a little dumpy or behind the times.  I'd rather wear and write what I'm comfortable in.  I hope readers want to read whatever makes them happy, even if it's not the latest trend. 

2 comments:

  1. Hear ye, hear ye! I wanted to be taller, thin, and rich, too; so far it's not working. ha! Yes, write what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, who else will?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's the truth! Your enuthusiasm for your subject should shine through your words!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer